Friday, March 23

What Has This World Come To?

Two weeks ago, a letter came home with Cullen from school. No, Cullen wasn't in trouble (this time!). It was a letter from Dr. Simon, the school Super. He just wanted to let the parents know that the kids would be practicing lock-down procedures the next week. The local police and fire departments would be assisting. The State of Ohio has mandated that all schools must have lock-down drills in case someone loses it and enters the school with a gun or other weapon. The situation had been explained to the kids. The kids thought it was kind of fun!

What has the world come to?! We have to teach our children from preschool through high school how to survive an attack on their school! We have to show them how important it is to lock the classroom doors, turn off the lights, hide in a safe place, and stay completely quiet until they have been rescued by the police! School used to be one of the safest places in the world for a kid. Yes, there are always the bullies and usual dramas, but school was a safe place. I'm not even talking about the gangs, the drugs, or all the other nightmares some schools have to deal with. Today's reality is that there are people, some of them even kids, who think the only way to be heard, or get attention, or get even, or their only "choice" is to go into a school with the intent to kill others. This situation is happening more and more. We are starting to be less effected by it on the news.

Cullen goes to a private Christian school. It is located in the country, but still close to the edge of the city. The city is growing closer to it all the time. This year we noticed that all doors except for the set near the office are locked after the kids are safely in the school. These doors take everyone right to the reception area. The kids are rarely visible from this location, except at class-change times. Anyone entering the school would be seen. The youngest kids have their classes on the first floor, but it is a hike to get to them. The fire/security doors to their wing is the next line of defense. These doors get locked too. It shakes you to realise that this wonderfully safe school is just like any other. It could one day need these lock-downs for real.

Remember what it was like when we were kids? We played all over the neighborhood. We went to the park without adults. We yelled "good-bye" every morning as we went running out of the house to find someone to play with, only to hear a parent (if there was one at home) tell you to be home by a certain time. We never worried about being kidnapped or worse. Our parents never worried about it either. It just didn't really happen.

What has this world come to?! I'm nervous letting Cullen ride his bike alone in our small village. He takes my cell phone with him in case something happens. I remind him not to talk to anyone he doesn't know and to never get into a car or go into someone's house. I worry until he gets home or gets to Aunt Heather's house. No, I'm not being overprotective. I'm being a Mom in 2007.

Everyone wonders why our kids are so out of shape. Part of it is because we are scared to let them go where we can't see them. We can't protect them out there anymore. It scares the crap out of me that Cullen has to take three busses to school. He has to change busses at two other locations. There are two more opportunities for something to happen. I'm not being paranoid. I'm being a Mom in 2007.

What has this world come to? I can't do anything but hope and pray that nothing will happen to my children. We teach them all kinds of rules. We teach them what to do in an emergency. We teach them that this world is scary. What else can we do but pray nothing happens. Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Dirk said...

I have to dig out the statistics - Google is your friend. But the reality is that crime against children, kidnappings, etc. have NOT gone up since we were children.

But the 24h news networks, the sensationalist press, and (sorry) the bloggers turn everything into such a zoo that things suddenly become more visible. And the schools and officials react to the pressures from their concerned constituents.

Yes, this world has changed, but the change is in the media and in the way we react to it.

In reality the most dangerous thing that you and Kieren ever do is driving in a car. Highest likelihood to get you killed or injured. By far.

Yet no one suggests you don't do that anymore...

Polar Bear said...

It is sad that schools have to go through such measures. I am glad they do though...

One of my first years of teaching a man walked into my classroom. He was the long lost uncle of one of my students. This man looked like he had been living on the streets for years. The boy wasn't even in my room that day, he was home sick. It was a tense few moments until the principal could be called and he escorted the man out.

After that day our school went on a strict lock-down. It is sad, but some people think that a school is open to the public. This man was only looking to reconnect, but chose the wrong arena to do so. That is more the type of thing we have to lock down for. You would be surprised at some of the things that go on in schools. I am glad we lock down for the safety of all involved.

I am sorry Cullen has to go through this. I am sorry any child has to go through it.

C's Mom said...

I miss my childhood freedoms for my daughter.

I remember selling GSC as a kid and going into the houses of strangers in the neighborhood (gasp).

Anonymous said...

In Washington State, we practice fire drills, earthquake drills, lock down drills, and even bus drills (what to do in case the bus is in an accident). In addition to these drills, we also teach children to say no to drugs, what to do if being bullied, proper nutrition and exercise, basic hygiene, social skills and the list goes on. It's a wonder we can fit in reading, writing and arithmetic.

I know what I just wrote wasn't the point of your post. It just reminded me how challenging it is to be a teacher in today's world.

Anonymous said...

Well, Kyle, Caleb, and Meg's school is right across from one of Ohio's maximum security prison. :-) The same school I went to. I remember prisons breaks as a child and the school bus driver having all the kids on the bus duck down in our seats as we passed, or getting locked into school. One student was interviewed on TV about his thoughts on the break. He said it was the most excitement we've seen happily. Of course my mother was terrified. But really what did we have to really worry about. All the escapees always seemed to go home north to Columbus or Cleveland. We hicks stood look out from our roofs with shotguns. We shoot then ask questions when we see strangers.
LOL
Laura Jo

Norma said...

The attack on the Amish school recently (in the last year) proved that no one is exempt from these attacks. No wonder schools practice lockdown drills!