
Uh-oh! Time for Sam to explain another Chinese Festival!
Tomorrow is the 15th day of Chinese New Year. That means it is the Lantern Festival. The Lantern Festival marks the last day of the Chinese New Year season. Traditionally, it is a day for lovers.
In ancient China, it was the one day of the year when a woman could come out - chaperoned, of course! - and be seen by eligible single men. In the days when women's feet were bound, it was often the one time when she could appear in public with unbound feet. For some reason they thought this was romantic!
Numerous theories surround the festival's origins. It's possible that it was originally meant to honor Buddha. Another story attributes its creation to a homesick palace maid named Yuanxiao. This maid told the Emperor that the God of Fire would set fire to the city unless he was appeased with a scene of burning. Accordingly, the Emperor ordered that firecrackers be set off and bright red lanterns hung throughout the streets. The ensuing noise and confusion allowed Yuanxiao to slip home unnoticed for a brief family reunion.
The traditional food for the Lantern Festival is Yuanxiao dumplings, named after the lonely palace maid of long ago. (Some versions of the story have her preparing stuffed dumplings for the God of Fire, as this was one of his favorite foods). Yuanxiao are made with sticky rice flour. They can be sweet or savory; filled with everything from sugar, walnuts, and dried tangerine peel to meat and vegetables.
Traditionally, the Lantern Festival is celebrated with music, dancing, acrobats, and of course, the sight of brightly decorated lanterns everywhere. People play the Lantern Riddle game, trying to guess the answers to the mysterious riddles stuck on the lanterns. And of course, eating dumplings and spending time with family or lovers!
We are celebrating Lantern Day with friends and family at our local Chinese place, Panda Garden. We have already hung two dozen little red and pink lanterns in the front window (they look so cute all aglow!!) and tonight we will make paper lanterns to give to our friends.
Happy Lantern Festival!!!
(Information taken from "Love and Lanterns - The Chinese Lantern Festival" by Rhonda Parkinsons.)
5 comments:
Me lurves me some lanterns. Krista gave me one but I gotta figure out how to get it open yet. I'm a little slow.
Anyhoo, this girl is hittin' the streets with her unbound feet tonight ;0)
Sounds fantastic! I love chinese lanterns - they're so pretty!
Sam,
Happy Lantern Festival! What neat history I've learned from you!
Love,
Chrissy
Wow! You know the Chinese Festival history more than I even though I am a Chinese!
Sam, I am so impressed with how up you are on Chinese cultural traditions. I keep thinking that I'll be better about it when Linlee is a little older, but you've inspired me to start now!
Post a Comment